St. Paul's Hospital
1081 Burrard Street
West Burrard Building, Room 491
Vancouver, BC V6Z 1Y6
Dr. Shannon Jackson
Dr. Paul R. Yenson
Nurse Practitioner: Karen Sims
Clinical Nurse Specialist: Deb Gue
Physiotherapist: Nicole Warren
Social Worker (Research):Claude Bartholomew
View Larger Map
The Hemophilia Assessment Clinic operates year-round with clinics generally held weekly on Wednesday mornings at St. Paul's Hospital, and semi-annually in outreach locations (Kelowna, Nanaimo, Prince George and Victoria).
Patients who have questions about their referral or would like to make an appointment are encouraged to contact the Hemophilia
Clinic at the numbers noted above.
The Provincial Pediatric Hemophilia Program at BC Children's Hospital - provides
comprehensive care and support to children and their families with inherited bleeding disorders such as
Hemophilia A, B, von Willebrand's Disease, Rare Coagulation Factor Deficiencies and Inherited Platelet Disorders.
We are a core group of health care professionals consisting of Haematologists, Nurse
Practitioner, Physiotherapist, Social Worker, Program Secretary working together to deliver state-of-the-art
care to children with bleeding disorders. We enlist the help of other health care professionals such as
dentists, orthopaedic surgeons, medical geneticists, pediatric surgeons and laboratory physicians to complement
our care. We are key members of the Association of Hemophilia Clinic Directors of Canada (AHCDC), Canadian
Association of Nurses in Hemophilia Care (CANHC), and Canadian Association of Physiotherapists in Hemophilia
Care (CAPHC) to promote the latest innovations of clinical care, as well as the ability to offer our patients
the opportunity to enrol in clinical studies.
We serve the province of BC and Yukon, although some communities in the eastern
portion of the province utilize Calgary or Edmonton due to proximity and ease of access.
|BC Children's Hospital
4480 Oak Street, Room 1A13
Vancouver BC, V6H 3V4
Clinic hours are 8:00am-4:00pm Mon - Fri
(closed on statutory holidays)
Dr. John Wu
Dr. Jeffrey Davis
(604) 875-2345 X 5334
(604) 875-2345 X 6895
(604) 875-2345 X 7154
(604) 875-2345 X 7124
(604) 875-2345 X 5335
** Out of area patients can additionally call 1-888-300-3088 to access switchboard and then dial extension 5335 or 5334
For emergency concerns after hours or on the weekend please contact the Haematologist on call at (604) 875-2161
View Larger Map
- « Annual/ biannual reviews on all patients with inherited bleeding disorders
- « Monitoring, training and support for all patients enrolled on the Home Therapy Program
- « Community and outreach education
- « Supervise and account for coagulation factor concentrate distribution in British Columbia for all patients on home treatment through the use of CHARMS database system
- « Specialized medical, nursing and physiotherapy support for children in BC with inherited bleeding disorders
- « Ongoing teaching and treatment to prevent complications of bleeding
- « Families to be a partner in their child's health care
- « Patients and families to maintain regular contact and appointment with the hemophilia clinic
- « Patients and families to keep accurate treatment records and submit these to the clinic at agreed intervals
- « Patients and families to be educated and understand their bleeding disorders, potential complications, treatment and care
- « Treatment records (infusion records) can be submitted by mail, fax or email to the hemophilia clinic. Monthly submissions are expected as per standard national practices.
- « Factor requests for homecare use may take up to three business days for processing. Patients should monitor their home inventory (and check before holidays) that they have adequate supplies.
- « Families on homecare are also responsible for ordering their own supplies (syringes, needles) through the product distribution centre. Please call the hemophilia clinic for their contact number if required.
- « For emergency concerns after hours or on the weekend please contact the Haematologist on call at (604) 875-2161